We've had high-protein baked oatmeal, scrambled oatmeal...well this morning I just wanted a plain bowl of oatmeal. But for me it has to have protein. Why? Because in my old bariatric age (just turned 5 years post-op), I seem to be developing blood sugar control problems (I refuse to call it hypoglycemia yet) and so starch has to be accompanied by protein!
S'anyway. I have a good bit of leftover sugar-free Torani English Toffee syrup from the Protein Shake Sample Kits so I decided to see how that would work in my protein oatmeal.
Nik's Salted Butter Toffee Protein Oatmeal
- 1/2 c. quick oats (That's what's in the above. I realize that might be WAY too much for some of you, so if need be, cut down to 1/4 c. I'll give modification directions with the other ingredients.)
- 1/4 c. Torani sugar-free English Toffee syrup (or use 1 tbsp. for every ounce of oatmeal)
- 1 scoop of your favorite protein (I used Any Whey unflavored. If you are using less than the 1/2 c. serving, use a 1/4 scoop of protein per ounce of oatmeal. So 1/4 c. would be half a scoop of protein).
- 1 c. skim milk (use twice the amount of milk than oatmeal)
- A small pat of butter or low-calorie butter substitute
- A generous pinch of salt (this works especially well if you have large-crystal salt)