Your Quest Bar orders help create more giveaways. Order today!

NEW! Working Search Button! USE IT!!!

Love BF as a blog? You'll love it even more as an e-mail newsletter. Get recipes, tips and more!

Dessert Week Offering #1: Apple Brown Nik

 
Dessert Week was a featured week in 2010 to highlight healthy desserts that can be enjoyed during the holidays after weight-loss surgery. For more holiday recipe ideas, check out The Bariatric Foodie Holiday Survival Guide on Amazon.

Weight loss surgery brothers and sisters! (Especially newbies) I have some good news to share.

Dessert isn't evil and, yes, you can have it! So in this series of posts I'll show you some sensible desserts. Some will be protein added, some not, some will be quick to put together, while others will have a few more steps. We hope this helps you decide how to finish off your stellar Thanksgiving meal!

First up is a classic from the Bariatric Foodie coffers. Apple Brown Nikki! I started making this my first year post-op. Last year, you might remember, the family became aware of its yumminess. This year I'm going in prepared. I'm making two of these!


This was all that was left of last year's batch!

Apple Brown Nikki

Ingredients:
  • 5 - 6 Granny Smith Apples peeled, cored, and sliced
  • 3 tbsp Blue Bonnett Light (or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light...I'm not picky)
  • 1/2 - 1 cup (depending on your sweetness tolerance) + 1 tbsp no-calorie sweetener
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 chopped hazelnuts
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats cereal
  • 1/2 cup Fiber One cereal
Directions:
  1. In a pan, melt "butter." Add apples, cup of Splenda, cinnamon, and nutmeg and sautee until apples are considerably softened. Set aside.
  2. In a dry pan, toast the hazelnuts and walnuts until browned.
  3. In a blender or food processor, combine both types of cereal, remaining Splenda, and nuts until a crumb mixture forms.
  4. Place apples in a casserole dish (I used a 9 x 13). Top with crumb mixture and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until apple mixture is bubbling up through openings in the crumb AND crumb mixture is brown.
Some additional tips for this dish:
  • If you are newer out and not having a big dinner (hence, you can't pawn most of this off on family), get yourself some small ramekins, reduce the recipe down to 2-3 apples, place your cooked apples in the ramekins, sprinkle with the topping and place all the ramekins on a cookie sheet to bake. Perfect portion control!
  • If you want a little bit more of a sophisticated taste, try adding in a quarter cup of Davinci sugar-free Butter Rum syrup to your apples while they are cooking.
  • For a little extra "oomph" on your topping, place your whipped topping in a bowl and gently fold in 2-3 tablespoons sugar-free hazelnut syrup (or any other favorite syrup, I find sugar-free French Vanilla syrup works well too), a dash of cinnamon and a sprinkle of nutmeg and then set it out as a topper.
This is an easy, no muss, low mess alternative to the traditional apple pie that gives you lots of fiber in return. If you make a batch of your own, be sure to snap a pic and send it our way! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know what I love about this? The first time I made it my husband loved it. He was at a point that if I told him it was in any way made healthier he wouldn't have liked it (good thing he didn't ask lol). Now that he is wanting to eat healthier and I told him that I was going to make this he told me he'd rather I didn't. Until I told him that it came from your recipe! :) Thank you for making something that tastes good to both post ops and non ops. :)

Larina m said...

Hey Nik!!! This is also one of my favs!!! I love that you share vital info for all the new post ops as well... I tried tagging you in my post when I shared but it wouldn't let me... :-/
PS I am LOVING you protein shake book!!!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...